Sunday, November 16, 2003

It is Girl Scout Cookie time, and ours were delivered yesterday by the local dealer, Julia. "Sorry our house is so messy," I said automatically as I opened the door. "No worse than mine," she replied cheerily. I'm sure her mom, standing back by the street so as to let Julia handle the transaction "on her own," was thrilled. ("Don't go into the strange people's house, dear.") We got a box of Pinatas (strawberry and frosting!) for the toddler, and two boxes of coveted peanut butter patties which I did not intend to share. "What are THOSE cookies?" she asked, as I whisked them out of her sight. I frantically searched my mind (whoo, not much there) for an answer. "Those are...are grownup cookies, and they taste like DIRT." "And coffee," Charles added helpfully. "Plus they are very spicy." "Yes," I said, "They are dirt-spicy-coffee cookies! Yuck!" I exclaimed, as I bit into one sweet circle of joy. "Blech!" cried Charles as he chewed. I don't think she was fooled.

No comments: