Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Most of you are aware that in 1998 the Husband cut the top off of my Volvo. He achieved international notoriety for this deed when I called Tom and Ray of "Car Talk," the weekly National Public Radio show. The Husband and I were debating the structural integrity of the car, post-crewcut. He insisted that it was sound, even as the middle of the car sagged to the ground. Tom and Ray overwhelmingly agreed with me, ha ha, and recommended I wear a helmet when riding in the vehicle. Friends from as far away as Germany recognized my voice* and many people congratulated me on the…caliber of the man I married.**

For an inkling of the steps involved in the process of cutting the roof off a car, go to Fishsuit (see the blogroll at right) and view the video he has posted in today's entry. Also note the maturity level of the men involved in this endeavor; you will have a good idea of what I experienced in the early years of my marriage.***

(Special note to Charles: The verbal contract regarding the roof of our current car is still binding.)

*In a fit of anxiety-prompted formality, I introduced myself as "Linda."
**I remember this day fondly because not only did I appear on the radio, thus achieving 15 minutes of fame, but later on the Husband and I rode our tandem bicycle in the Fremont Solstice Parade, dressed up as grapes. Ah, youth!
***I accept no responsibility for the beheading of anyone's vehicle as precipitated by the viewing of this video.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Top Gear is one of my favorite shows (thank you, The Internet!), for what I hope are obvious reasons. When I saw this segment my first thought was, "Linnie and Charles HAVE to see this." (Then I thought, "Maybe Linnie has seen enough of this kind of thing.")

But no matter. If nothing else, it is a chance for the rest of us to imagine what it must have been like on the day of the Volvo Beheading. All you have to do is imagine Charles represented by 1.5 British television presenters.