Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The Hostile Takeover is Complete

It finally happened. I had to look up a word used by the Biggie. It wasn’t that big a word, and upon retrospect I knew what it meant (this is the “saving face” portion of the program, folks) but she was flinging words at me; we were in mid-fight mode, and I was rattled by her multi-syllabic grenades coupled with my cumulative years of sleep deprivation. “Mama,” she said, “You are simply irrefutable!” and stormed off in a cloud of pre-tween dust. When I asked her what she meant by that (hoping to catch her in show-off mode, like a sophomore Philosophy major), she quoted a dictionary-perfect definition.

Sigh.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

"I learned it by watching you, OK?"

Amy said...

Frightening.
And congrats on the triathalon!!!

Linnie said...

Thanks, Amy! And congrats on Urinetown! (I just love that last sentence, for so many reasons.)

Melissa, you've tapped into one of the most terrifying aspects of parenthood--not only do they do all the good things you do, they do all the crap you do, too--until they're teenagers, and they reject everything. *sigh.*