Saturday, August 07, 2004

Hiya, long time no blog! Much has been happening lately, much too much for my poor sleep-deprived neurons to handle. Here is a brief update:

Moved into the new house at the end of July, though construction still continued. Cursed self by joking with head contractor, "Heck, we've messed with every system in the house except the electric!" Two days later, was informed by an electrician that our GE breaker box was "crap." Was also informed that the Husband of the Blog would be attending a conference for a week, in South Africa. Dear, dear friends left town for various too-far-away states. Found out that the wee one has a slightly elevated lead level (one unit above normal); have spent most of waking time wiping her hands and removing foreign objects from her mouth ever since. Was called by the Health Dept. because of the lead, and though I explained that we have moved to a new environment which has been extensively renovated with lead removal a goal, they still want to come visit and check me out to make sure I'm not feeding her paint chip cocktails.

Oh yeah, and then there was this triathlon I was training for. The swim, which I had completed just two training sessions for, was first. Oddly, my awkward, flailing sidestroke did not place me near the front of the pack. There were three or four people (out of a couple hundred competing) behind me at the end of the swim, and when I got onto the bike I just started passing people. I was so far back, the first people I was passing looked like they hadn't ridden in years. They were literally weaving back and forth on the road, looking down at their gears in confusion. I say this not to disparage them, but to point out that I was BEHIND these folks, I was so damn slow in that swim. I kicked some booty on my sweet new bike (gift from the Husband of the Blog, who understands that diamonds are not THIS girl's best friend), and continued passing on the run. The knee condition I'd been coaxing into submission during all of the training finally reared its ugly head during the first mile of the run, but I gimped across the finish line in an hour and 52 minutes, which is about how long I was in hard labor with the wee one. Needless to say, the triathlon was a cakewalk in comparison.

Next year, an hour and a half, baby. Bring it on.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Yay for you for kicking some triathalon ass! That is a huge accomplishment, I'm so proud of you! Love the comparison to labor :)

Hope things are going well with the house and that the Husband of the Blog has returned from SA and you can catch a break for a bit. Remember you have an open invite to FL!