Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Not Prepared For This One

Last night, while she was happily slurping her ice cream, the Biggie turned to me and announced, "Mama, I have two boyfriends." Hiding my shock, I asked, "Really, who?" "Connor and Wiley." This is familiar territory. She has proclaimed she would marry Wiley, an old family friend, since she knew about princes and princesses and the inevitable ending of every Disney movie. But what about this Connor character? "Why is Connor your boyfriend?" "Because he winks at me and smiles at me and we both like soccer." OK, I can handle this. A simple display of affection, shared interests. "But just because he likes you doesn't make you his girlfriend. Do you like him?" "Well of course, because we are the only two kids in class who play hockey."

If only it could remain this simple.

No comments: