Sunday, November 05, 2006

I know, there's been silence on Planet Quistilton lately, but do not take that to mean there is nothing going on. On the contrary, EVERYTHING is going on, ALL AT ONCE. The Husband was traveling for business. The dreaded Dengue Fever once again reared its ugly head. I'm increasing my work hours. And the topper, what puts this blogmistress over the friable edge of sanity, is we're buying a new house and spent the last two weeks frantically preparing the current Quistilton Spread for sale. So if you know anyone who wants to buy a bright yellow "completely renovated downtown gem" in Ithaca, please let me know.

The Dengue Fever is just a constant source of background stress, such a pain. I thought that with this third manifestation, we'd really get it diagnosed, but no. Here is the rheumatologist's sage pronouncement: "This is just the way you are, you can expect it to happen any time you get an infection. It's exacerbated by stress, so you should sell your children. I bet you could get a good price for them." Thanks, Dr. Dodo. WHATEVER.

What brings me back to sanity and happiness is the thought of our new home, a country retreat nearly at the end of a dead-end street, on top of a hill with no visible neighbors, a working organic garden, ski trails, swing set, wood stove…ok I'm getting distracted. The original house is a funky twelve-sided 60's homebuilt job (yes, it's a dodecahedron), with a bright and beautiful post-and-beam addition built in 2001. Yes, I know there will be no take-out delivered there. I know winter will come a month earlier on the hill, and leave a month later. I know, we are insane. But we are also tired of traffic and police sirens and more baloney than I really want to get into here. So we're movin' out, folks! Yeeha!

(Pictures coming soon!)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow! How exciting and incredibly stressful that sounds! I can't even begin to imagine moving all the stuff that kids accumulate. Just thinking about it is putting me into a stress overload. Must eat some Halloween candy to recouperate...

Lisa said...

I am so coming to visit!