Tuesday, January 27, 2004

The fart ad drama continues. I wrote to Google’s ad department about the ad:

Hi, so you want feedback on the ads that are posted on blog sites? The ads make me unhappy! There are fart doll ads on my family blog site! My mom, to whom I have never even said the word "fart," reads this, and there are fart doll ads because I happened to mention my infant daughter's farting in a blog entry. Why couldn't Google have picked up on any one of the other thousands of terms in my blog entries, like potty training, scissors, or rutabaga?

OK, so looking at the ad's related links DID lead me to an incredibly funny fake video of a farting preacher, but still--my mom reads it!

This is what they wrote in reply:

Hello Linnie,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Google AdSense.

The ads that you are referring to and the 'Ads by Google' link on which you clicked are being generated through the Google AdSense program, which delivers relevant text-based Google AdWords ads to content pages. Currently, blogspot.com has an account with AdSense and has chosen to
display targeted ads on certain pages within their site.

If you have any questions or comments regarding the website or the ad placement, please contact the website in question directly.

Sincerely,

The Google Team

So they passed the buck. But then, when I logged on today (and hopefully while you are looking at the site right now), voila! The fart ads have disappeared! Hallelujah!

This amazes me and is only blogworthy because I see it as a small triumph of the human spirit. In this age of electronic anonymity, I actually got the nameless, faceless internet to respond to little ole’ me. Yeeha!

And if any of you missed the preacher video (yeah, I know your type), feel free to e-mail me. I’ll send you the link.


No comments: