Wednesday, January 07, 2004

The Wee One rolled from her back to her front last night. I put her down on the floor while I was making the bed, and when I looked back down a few minutes later there she was, gnawing on the rattle that had been just out of her reach. She’s working on doing it again right now, yodeling away. She also went from her belly to her back this morning, twice. Future Olympic champion, I tell ya.

You know, what with all the high-powered potty negotiation that’s been going on with her older sister lately, I’ve realized that communicating with the babe is really quite simple. She has two primary means of expressing her feelings. One is by high-pitched screaming, which sounds very distressing but translates into, “I am awake, yeeha!” or “I might like a snack/nap/diaper change, if you don’t mind.” The other is by farting, or “tooting,” as we call it in the quistilton household. An expulsion of gas means “I am relaxed and/or pleased.” A really big ripper in conjunction with a look of concentration means “I am so very interested in your face/the cat/a rutabaga,” or “Mom ate a lot of broccoli yesterday.” It’s just refreshing, the simplicity of it all.

No comments: