Thursday, February 02, 2006

OK, so according to “What Free Time,” I am “tagged,” I’m “it.” I’m supposed to post five weird habits I have. Here goes:

1) I chew my fingers. Not my fingernails, my fingers.
2) I repeatedly fail to buy bread and
crackers at the grocery store, fantasizing that I will make my own. What this really means is that the family is on a default low-carb diet.
3) This is a bad, bad habit: I passive-aggressively correct the Husband’s grammar in front of the kids by repeating what he says in the “right” way. He probably didn’t even realize I was doing this—until now. (Dang!)
4) Ummm… Aha! I am a little freaky about saving money, and enjoy thrift store shopping and free piles. A book I spend a lot of time with is the complete collection of “The Tightwad Gazette,” by Amy Dacyczyn. (Of course, then I go and pick one of the most expensive possible habits, flying—I’ll pay for it with the money I save by wearing $3 jeans and freecycled boots.)
5) I get up at 4 am and write in the blog.

All the people I want to "tag" don't have blogs--come on Jenn, Amy, Leah, Diana, Jean, Melissa and everyone else--get on the ball! Oh yes and the Goddess--tag right back at ya!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linnie, babe, much as I'd love to join the 21st century with the rest of y'all (ew, what's THAT doing in the vocabulary of a 30somthing chick from Lawng Guyland?), with the job and the Beangrl and oh yeah, the husband, blogging just doesn't make the cut. (These days, it's just as well ... if I blogged what I REALLY thought, it just might get me fired ... )

Thanks for the shout-out, though!

-JH

Anonymous said...

Blog? Right. 'Cause the whole world would be beating a path to my webpage to hear what I have to say...

I know, I can blog by proxy. I'll just leave comments here. Now let's pretend this is my blog, and I have been tagged:

Five Weird Habits:
1) I regularly fall asleep in Kiersten's bed after reading her three stories...then telling her a made-up story...then singing her a lullaby (usually "Tooraloora" or "Nobody Knows The Diapers I've Smelled" to the tune of the old Negro Spiritual "Nobody Knows the Troubles I've Seen") Then I wake up at 3 a.m. and try not to smoosh her as I sneak out.
2) I am disgustingly obsessed with the cleanliness of my daughter's...(room? hands? face? clothes? no!) nostrils. There may only be one molecule of dried snot in her nasal passages, but IT MUST BE REMOVED BECAUSE NOTHING WILL INTERFERE WITH MY CHILD'S BREATHING!!!
3) When my students ask if they can go to the bathroom, I always reply "I'm sure you can, but whether you may or not is a different question." Then I wonder how my father threw his voice all the way from California.
4) I usually sleep wearing the clothes I wore all day (see #1).
5) I drive the "long" way to work (adding two minutes onto a six minute commute) so I can drive by River Bend Farm. It's pretty!

Before I go, I have to say I loved reading your bad habit #3, because one of my great joys in life is smirking inwardly when my dear child corrects her dad's grammar. And I quote:

"Sleep good." (Said by James)
"You mean, sleep WELL, Daddy." (Said by toddler)

Eric Wright said...

Alrighty, so I lack willpower. A stronger person wouldn't have chimed in to say, "Well, if v.k. DID have a blog, I'k beat a path to the webpage just so that I could say `HEY!!! That's amazing! I'm just as obsessed about my own nose!'"

Linnie, do feel free to have a field day with my awkward use of quotation marks.

Linnie said...

Eric: I have no issues with your quotation marks.

VK: Well, it would be nice if you had a blog just so I could check to see if you still had a pulse. (My own blog is my personal, "Do I have two brain cells to rub together?" test. I usually fail the test. But then, at least, I know the answer to the question.)

I also drive the prettier way home.

JH: You are wiser than Dooce, obviously.